Listen to this article
The ESAO Awards are the Official Awards organized and managed by the Olive Oil School of Spain. They have been held annually since 2015 in order to contribute to the promotion of the highest quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO).
The ESAO Awards in support of Superior Quality Extra Virgin Olive Oils give the external recognition to a job well done and the highest quality EVOO. Obtaining an award is synonymous with the evaluation of a quality work that regular consumers value and at the same time allows to bring potential new consumers closer. Customers want to always be next to brands they are proud of, and winning awards encourages this sentiment.
Being awarded at the ESAO Awards also allows differentiation from other brands and wide dissemination in the press and the media. There is no doubt that in order to be eligible to be the world's best olive oil, it must be recognized externally by obtaining an award.
Next we will see in detail the prizes that can be obtained.
- BEST INTERNATIONAL EVOO
- BEST EVOO FROM PACKAGER/TRADER
- LOCAL VARIETY AWARD
- INNOVATION AWARD
- BEST OLIVE OIL SEASONING
- BEST ORGANIC EVOO FROM VALENCIAN COMMUNITY
- 3 Best International EVOO from Producer/ Cooperative + 10 Finalists
- 3 Best International EVOO from Packager/ Trader + 10 Finalists
- 3 Best EVOO from Countries + 5 Finalists
- Best EVOO from Comunidades Autónomas (Spain):
- 3 Best EVOOs from Producer + 5 Finalists (*10 Finalists in Andalusia)
- 3 Best EVOOs from Cooperative + 5 Finalists (*10 Finalists in Andalusia)
- Innovation Award to the producer, cooperative or packager, national or international registered with their innovation.
- Local Variety Award to the Best Extra Virgin Olive Oil with a Local Variety, Autohcthonous or special interest.
- 3 Best Olive Oil Seasoning + 5 Finalists.
- Best Organic EVOOs from Valencian Community: 3 winners + 5 finalists
BEST INTERNATIONAL EVOO
The international awards to which all EVOO of the world can attend will compete in a Ranking of 3 places to obtain the great prize of «Best International EVOO».
Do not miss the opportunity to present your EVOO to this New Edition of the Awards. We know how huge is the effort required to make an outstanding oil. This is why we want to reward the best olive oil mills. It is our aim to offer all our support to promote quality and spread extra virgin olive oil culture.
All producers and cooperatives from any country in the world can participate.
The prizes to be awarded will be:
- 3 Best International EVOO + 10 Finalists
In addition, you automatically access the following prizes:
- 3 Best EVOOs by Countries + 5 Finalists
MEJOR AOVE DE ENVASADOR/COMERCIALIZADOR
Aimed to recognizing the best EVOO of those companies or individuals that sell an existing or manufactured EVOO, but with their brand as a bottler.
The following prizes will be awarded:
- 3 Best International EVOO of Packager/ Trader + 10 Finalists
LOCAL VARIETY AWARD
The “Local Variety Award” rewards EVOOs made from varieties located in a single region, of little importance at global level, although well known locally, and that normally do not appear in regular plantations. These are unknown varieties and generally of special agronomic difficulty, which sometimes tend to be uprooted or are replaced by other more profitable ones.
At ESAO, we want to reward the special interest and dedication of a person or company to preserve, conserve and disseminate these local varieties that are of special interest. The widespread varieties will also enter this category. That is: varieties located in several regions, but with few regular plantations.
One prize will be given:
- Local Variety Award for the Best Extra Virgin Olive Oil of a Local, Native or Special Interest Variety.
This award recognizes the conception and implementation of significant changes in virgin olive oil, either in the product or in the process, marketing or the organization of an olive company. The purpose of these changes will be improving results and in this way collaborating with the development of the olive sector.
One prize will be awarded:
- Innovation Award to the producer, cooperative or packer, national or international that is presented with its innovation
BEST OLIVE OIL SEASONING
Condiments, flavored or infused oils where the base is virgin or extra olive oil will be valued. The jury will score the special cleanliness and authenticity of the aroma reproduced by the seasoning.
ESAO is committed to the dissemination of the culture of olive oil in general and the extra virgin in particular. Flavored products can be a gateway to the culture of olive oil and olive oil is a gateway to virgin olive oils and these in turn to extra virgin olive oils. Distributors, importers and end consumers have accepted flavored oils in their kitchens and this fact should not be ignored.
The following awards are contemplated:
- 3 Best Seasoning Made from EVOO + 5 Finalists.
BEST ORGANIC EVOO FROM COMUNITAT VALENCIANA
Special award developed in collaboration with the Valencian Community Organic Agriculture Committee (CAECV). The 3 Best organic EVOOs of C. Valenciana and 5 finalists will be awarded.
The oils that are presented in the category of "Best organic EVOO of the Valencian Community" must comply with the organic production regulations contained in Council Regulation (EC) 834/2007 and have the Certificate of Conformity in force issued by the CAECV (ES-ECO-020-CV).
The winners and finalists of the campaign are announced at the ESAO Guide that collects information on the winners of the ESAO Awards and the best olive oil awards. Includes the ESAO Stars, the "Michelin" stars for Extra Virgin Olive Oil.